The Day the Earth Stood Still

Rick Bookstaber: The Day the Earth Stood Still: has an interesting (and curmudgeonly) view on the high froth and rehash factor in the media generated (or remixed) today.

He starts with stating that nothing new or good in the music genre has been turned out in the last few years.  He also expands the scope to include most of the arts as well.

While I do agree with Rick about the pointlessness of learning more about our fake (in so many definitions of that word) friends, the Kardashians, I'm not as down on the lack of new.  I mean, hadn't Shakespeare templated the main basic story structures for most everything?

*pfft*

I don't think so.  I think it is a perspective problem.

Just like the "problem with kids these days."

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" 

But a quote like this could be dropped into a conversation today and not seem too out of place.

It is attributed to Hesiod, 8th century BC.

All perspective.

'via Blog this'  (and Dave the Wave)

Comments

  1. Dave the Wave3:05 PM PDT

    That's an awesome comment! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment