Skip to main content

Roger Moore story shows how he had fun with his 00 status.

I have to admit that I found Roger Moore's 007 too jokey and casual for my "cinema-hardened" spy sensibilities.

I have no idea what "cinema-hardened" even means.

But after you read this story below, you get a sense of the warmness this actor had with this character role. And really, this is what 007 is: Entertainment.   Not some recipe for virility.

And again, I found my old sentimental self tearing up again.


Still my favorite Roger Moore-era 007 movie


Shamelessly copied from SFLink (link)


Famed James Bond actor Roger Moore passed away at age 89 Tuesday. His family announced that he'd lost his battle with cancer. Following the news, an outpouring of tributes came from various friends and other celebrities in the movie industry.
Media: Wibbitz
Sean Connery has always been my favorite James Bond, but not any more.
Not after reading a story about a little boy meeting Sir Roger Moore in 1983 and then again 23 years later.
Marc Haynes was just 7 years old and a major fan of the 007 series when he spotted his hero at the Nice Airport. Haynes alerted his grandfather, who was sitting with him by the departure gate.
Here's what followed in Haynes' own words, with minor editing. Be sure to read to the end.
"I told my granddad I'd just seen James Bond and asked if we could go over so I could get his autograph."
Apparently his granddad had no idea who James Bond or Roger Moore were, but still walked over and told the star: "My grandson says you're famous. Can you sign this?"
"As charming as you'd expect, Roger asks my name and duly signs the back of my plane ticket, a fulsome note full of best wishes.
"I'm ecstatic, but as we head back to our seats, I glance down at the signature. It's hard to decipher but it definitely doesn't say 'James Bond'.
"My grandad looks at it, half figures out it says 'Roger Moore' - I have absolutely no idea who that is, and my heart sinks.
"I tell my granddad he's signed it wrong, that he's put someone else's name - so my grandad heads back to Roger Moore, holding the ticket which he's only just signed."
Marc heard his granddad tell Moore: "he says you've signed the wrong name. He says your name is James Bond" and describes the moment the star's face "crinkled up with realisation" before he beckoned the young boy over to him.
Marc explained: "When I was by his knee, he leant over, looked from side to side, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said to me, 'I have to sign my name as 'Roger Moore' because otherwise... Blofeld might find out I was here.'
"He asked me not to tell anyone that I'd just seen James Bond and he thanked me for keeping his secret. I went back to our seats, my nerves absolutely jangling with delight.
"My grandad asked me if he'd signed 'James Bond'. No, I said. I'd got it wrong. I was working with James Bond now.


Years later, Haynes met Moore again during a film project and told him of their earlier chance encounter:
"I was working as a scriptwriter on a recording that involved UNICEF and Roger Moore was doing a piece to camera as an ambassador.
"He was completely lovely and while the cameramen were setting up, I told him in passing the story of when I met him in Nice Airport.
"He was happy to hear it, and he had a chuckle and said, 'Well, I don't remember but I'm glad you got to meet James Bond.' So that was lovely.
"And then he did something so brilliant. After the filming, he walked past me in the corridor, heading out to his car - but as he got level, he paused, looked both ways, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said, 'Of course I remember our meeting in Nice. But I didn't say anything in there, because those cameramen - any one of them could be working for Blofeld."
"I was as delighted at 30 as I had been at 7. What a man. What a tremendous man."
Rest in peace, Roger Moore, you scourge of Spectre and fulfiller of little boys' dreams.

Comments

  1. The Wave9:43 AM PDT

    Great story and glad it came out. You know that I'm with you on the "grit" side of the Bondness and spyness in my narrative but that is classy! And I have a hard time seeing Mr. Connery doing the same!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment