Heartbreaking - Story about David Bowie's last musical


A story about David Bowie's last musical - though most did not know it was intended to be his last.

Told from the perspective of the associate Producer of "Lazarus", Zelda Perkins.

(link)

The subtitle was "Never meet your heroes" -- but in this case, David Bowie was full of joy and excitement to the last - and what you dream your childhood heroes would be.

Wonderful.

Gracious.

Funny.

I was pushed towards him, protesting to Coco as I went that David should speak to Ivo and the other creatives first. But David clambered over the two rows of seats separating us, pulled me into the aisle and enveloped me in an enormous hug. “Zelda,” he said. “We meet at last!”
He was wearing a baseball cap and an overcoat, though the room was warm, but there was no disguising his pallor and that he was struggling for breath. However, his eyes were ablaze and he immediately started talking excitedly about what we had just witnessed. He wanted to know exactly what I thought. Did I like the new arrangements of his songs? What did I think of the choreography? Wasn’t it marvellously tangled and surprising? He was holding my hands (or was I holding his?) and I found I couldn’t break his gaze, or not be infected by his delight. My inner voice of doubt and commercial worry was immediately silenced. I had been reminded that the true artist does not fear the viewer’s gaze.

From his last photo shoot. 


Comments