Though I couldn't stay up for "Creature Features", I believe I know the secret identity

I think I have this as an autographed picture.

 

Bob Wilkins was an important part of my childhood.  

Less for his more famous creation of "Creature Features", but more his afterschool mainlining a steady stream of tokusatsu giant monsters and superheroes in glorious video action to me like "Space Giants", "Spectreman", "Ultraman" or anime like "Star Blazers" dressed as "Capt. Cosmic!"

I think he even came to my elementary school. I remember everyone asking if he was "Capt. Cosmic" and he would say "I don't know what you are talking about."  So patient he must have been!!

Below are two documentaries about Bob Wilkins / John Stanley and the legacy of their work.

"Watch Horror!  Keep America Strong" (2008) (video link here

and  "Up Late with Bob Wilkins" (2019) (embedded below)


It continues on with an YouTube channel with actual movies! (video link here) as well as festivals to celebrate Bob Wilkins and John Stanley which I accidentally stumbled into at the Orinda theater a year back (link).

Instead of instant demand, it is almost hard to remember when shows would appear on TV and disappear forever leaving only a (mostly) indelible memory.  

And I will forever associate the "Creature Features" theme song (based on the very few times I was allowed to stay up to watch it) with "Creature Features" instead of the proper source from the "Dawn Raid on Fort Knox" from "Goldfinger."  


(jump to about 1:40 in the song) 

Comments

  1. I had totally forgotten until reading it here, but I remember him coming to Wildwood too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for confirming that I didn't dream him coming to Wildwood! I has been many many years ago. :-D

      Delete
  2. The Wave7:14 AM PST

    Thanks for posting this - love the link and happy that you put this together!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment